Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Run-in with an asterisk

A while ago, I wrote a post that dealt with my unhappy feelings toward the church policy of how gay members' records are sometimes managed with an asterisk. (The policy was explained very well in this Benji Schwimmer interview and Neal's blog post.)

Today, I had to laugh.

I went to some special training for work. While there, I needed to pick up materials I would be using over the next several months. In order to have permission to take them, I had to give my "John Hancock".

When I found my name on the list, I saw I was the only person with an asterisk by her name. At first, I was confused. I then realized it was there because of having missed training due to knee surgery. Then, I was humored by the thought that I can now have an asterisk by my name at work AND on my Church records (if, of course, I were being disciplined for gay activity, which would also mean that I could not work with anyone under the age of 18).

I know.

I have a warped sense of humor. And, it takes very little to humor me.