Saturday, July 18, 2015

What people say and do

* I was told this week (that, since I have no children), "You don't have a family."

Wow.

I did not know people could be so hurtful with the words they choose to use.

* As a young teenager, I and one of my siblings were walking on a college campus near where we lived. We noticed that we were being followed by a man, probably college aged, who was completely exposing himself to us as he walked behind us. When we got home, we told our parent about it.

Instead of calling the police to report what had happened or making sure we were alright, we instead were physically punished for seeing him.

Through all these years, I still cannot believe, or understand, or fathom, the reaction my parent showed. Children are to be loved, protected, and cared for, not corporally punished for being sexually accosted as we had been.